Emergency Room Services Information￼
24-Hour Emergency Room services at the Cormorant Island Health Centre (CIHC):
Due to staff shortages in the healthcare sector, Emergency Room services are reduced at
CIHC temporarily at certain times. ‘Namgis leadership are making every effort to address
this situation by engaging all relevant health agencies.
Please follow the guidelines below when healthcare involvement is required:
Avoid Unnecessary Visits
While emergencies are unavoidable, here are a few simple things you can do to
avoid unnecessary visits at the hospital:
- For non-urgent care, contact your family doctor
- Call Healthlink BC 8-1-1 for confidential health information and nonemergency services
- Make sure your prescriptions are Up-to-date
- Make sure you have basic medicine on hand to control children’s fever and pain
- Get a flu shot and wash your hands often to avoid spreading and contracting viruses and bacteria
If you or someone in your care is experiencing a health crisis or has an urgent medical condition, do not hesitate to call 9-1-1.
Examples of urgent medical conditions
Include but are not limited to:
- Signs of heart attack or stroke
- Extreme pain
- Severe bleeding
- Broken bones
- Shortness of breath or respiratory distress
If unsure if you have an urgent medical condition, call Healthlink BC at 8-1-1 to speak to a Registered Nurse to determine if you should call 9-1-1.